Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default 74HC4046 Model Development

On 10/22/2012 03:08 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
On 22/10/2012 16:42, Jim Thompson wrote:

Quite frankly I don't give a rat's ass whether you use the model or
not. I find the 74HC4046 a piece-a-crap, a rather poor CMOS copy of
my original design, the quite linear MC4024 of nearly 50 years ago.

...Jim Thompson

I have found that the variation of parameters the 74HC4046 from one
manufacturer to another is such that I cannot agree with such a sweeping
statement. I found the Philips/NXP variant a very well behaved device,
whereas others had/have poor VCO control linearity etc.

If you read the datasheet carefully, that good performance only exists
over a certain range of parameters, and is only typical, not guaranteed.
See the list of datasheet references I posted in the other HC4046
thread a few days ago.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--