Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Backing for Mirror

On 10/22/2012 4:01 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 11:22:34 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 10/22/12 10:32 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
We are planning on putting a mirror to cover the TV hole above our
fireplace. The plan is to remove minimal trim, place shims on the sides
of the existing opening so the mirror is flush with the back edge of the
mantel and the existing trim.

I plan on cutting this backing board so it would fit into the opening,
and holding it in with quarter round or similar.

What would be best for this backing board. MDF, plywood, etc.

Should the mirror be bonded to the backer board. If so how?

A structural backer is a good idea just to prevent to possibility of a
person or part of a person going through it. Bonding with mirror
adhesive or contact cement is also a good idea to prevent glass from
falling all over the place if the mirror were to be broken in any way.

The only problem with gluing the mirror to the backboard is the very
REAL possibility that the glue will pull the silvering off the back of
the mirror. How are you intending to mount the mirror? Is it in a
frame, or will you use mirror brackets?

The plan is to put it on the backer board with the "glue" that I plan to
buy from the same company that I am buying the mirror.

I am buying the mirror to be a quarter of an inch shorter than the
actual width of the opening. The backer board will be the same size as
the mirror.

There is a quarter inch lip at the mantel. As I said earlier I will put
shims on the exiting casing so the mirror is the width of the quarter
round from the front of the casing. I will then hold the whole thing
against the shims with quarter round or similar molding. The depth from
the front of the casing will be a determine on esthetics.