Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fence facing etiquette

On Oct 22, 7:39*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On Oct 19, 3:53*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 06:12:09 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

When I was young I learned that fence facing etiquette is to have the
pretty side of the fence facing outward towards your neighbors. My
questions:

(1) Is this a law in places?

Yes. * *Even if the neighbor *prefers* the other side.

-snip-

An actual "law"? *I doubt that, part of HOA agreements, city ordinance
and the like I can see but to have such nit-ppicking written as an
actual law seems to be stretching the "The Law is an ass" concept.

I confess to using the term 'law' to include local ordinances in this
case.

It is *the law* in this house that you clear your plate--- but no
legislature has ever deliberated upon it as far as I know.

Jim

I don't see the objection to using the term law. Requirements
for fences are typically part of zoning ordinances that are passed
by the governing body, eg town council, township committee,
etc, and have every bit as much enforceability as those that
set the speed limits on various roads do. Just because it's one
small part of all the zoning doesn't mean it's not a law.

Now if a fence rule is adopted by a HOA, then I would
agree that it is not an actual law.