Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Backing for Mirror

On 10/22/12 10:32 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
We are planning on putting a mirror to cover the TV hole above our
fireplace. The plan is to remove minimal trim, place shims on the sides
of the existing opening so the mirror is flush with the back edge of the
mantel and the existing trim.

I plan on cutting this backing board so it would fit into the opening,
and holding it in with quarter round or similar.

What would be best for this backing board. MDF, plywood, etc.

Should the mirror be bonded to the backer board. If so how?

A structural backer is a good idea just to prevent to possibility of a
person or part of a person going through it. Bonding with mirror
adhesive or contact cement is also a good idea to prevent glass from
falling all over the place if the mirror were to be broken in any way.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--