Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Installing a loft floor

On 21/10/2012 13:09, GMM wrote:
On Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:16:39 AM UTC+1, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 22:33:14 +0100 John Rumm wrote :

Out of interest I had an experiment with superbeam to see what
you can get away with on a 3x2 (well 72x47mm) and a typical floor
load (uniformly distributed 0.8kN/m on each joist). 1.3m seems to
be about the limit - so you could probably still do a landing
with it and comply with modern building regs. (having said that,
its generally simpler to use one depth all over to save having to
buy lots of timber sizes)

Our old rule of thumb when I was a BCO which matched the tables
pretty well was that for floor joists double the depth in inches
and subtract two to get the permissible span in feet; flat roof
joists, subtract one (2" joists).

As you say, in most cases practicality requires all joists to be
the same depth (you need tops of joists to be level and want them
all to bear on wall at one level) so except for the largest span
they are generally oversized. There's also more in reserve in that
for virtually all joists, deflection governs the size, not bending
stress and few floors are loaded to BR design loads (1.5kN/m2
30lb/ft2).

So for a 14ft span (as here), the 8" joists I originally proposed
would be about right? I wonder if the tables are constructed from
that rule of thumb or from a complex calculation that gives the same
result? I guess most of the discussion (now) is about what you might
be able to get away with, rather than what should be done, but I'd
prefer to over-engineer than under, for the sake of a couple inches.
Of course, I'm equally concerned that they are mounted securely, as
Mr R outlined......

If you can rule out that the space will ever be converted to habitable,
then you can undersize a tad from the tabulated values. As Tony
mentioned above, its normally the deflection limits that dictate the
size rather than the shear or bending limits. (i.e the floor would be
likely to damage decorative finishes, feel to bouncy, and upset
inhabitants of rooms below, long before the timber is in danger of
actually failing)

For your application (i.e. with the new beams some distance above the
existing ceiling, and not ceiling to be mounted on the underside of the
new joists), deflection beyond normal limits is a non issue. So it
reduces to a problem of what is adequate in terms of bending and shear
bouncy than "normal" given that you know it is still structurally sound).

Perhaps a play Tony's excellent bit of software might be in order
(assuming there is still a demo version available for download?)

--
Cheers,

John.