Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Fence facing etiquette

Don Wiss wrote in
:

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 01:09:31 -0700, SMS
wrote:

On 10/20/2012 8:03 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

Plus the side lines don't line up. His back line abuts two
neighbors. So he would have four neighbors to convince to share.

If the old fence needed replacing would it have been hard to convince
the neighbors?

The old fence was chain link. Two of the four have wood fences on
their property blocking the chain link. I had a stockade fence leaning
on it.

I have four "fence neighbors" and they did not need convincing when we
had to replace the fences. None objected to sharing the cost.

But is he going to get all four to agree to his design? So that he can
achieve his desired consistency? Plus his fence is a rather expensive
cedar one. See:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/535-2nd-Side-Fence.jpg

This is a shared fence that several neighbors have put up:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/Alt...cket-Fence.jpg

Note dramatic cost difference. I noted earlier that this new back yard
neighbor is spending over $1 million on his renovation. This is on top
of paying $2.4 million to buy the house. I doubt that saving a few
dollars is a big concern.

Seems like Park Slope gentrification and (perhaps) housing bubble.
Sometimes I don't like the architectural restrictions we have around
here, but sometimes I do like them. Keeps most people from doing
horrible things to their properties.

--
Best regards
Han