Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Fence facing etiquette

On 10/20/2012 8:03 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

Plus the side lines don't line up. His back line abuts two neighbors. So he
would have four neighbors to convince to share.

If the old fence needed replacing would it have been hard to convince
the neighbors?

I have four "fence neighbors" and they did not need convincing when we
had to replace the fences. None objected to sharing the cost. One
neighbor asked to eliminate the cost of a tremendous amount of ivy
removal on the old fence saying that her adult sons would help me remove
it. That was the dumbest $300 I ever saved. Three of the four neighbors
had very limited income, but they knew that it was an expense that was
necessary. I even got one of them to agree to an extra high fence to
shield their illegal shed, though they initially objected.

What I found odd about California was that every house in the suburbs
had a fenced yard. Where I grew up in Florida you did not put up a fence
unless you either had a pool or a dog. You could go from house to house
through the back yards.