Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Fence facing etiquette

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 22:47:36 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

When I lived in Philly, fences were on the property line and cost was often
shared. Ownership was transferred with property. Many row houses had
fences in the back yard on the line if shared, inches inside if not. Since
some houses were only 16' wide, it was not practical to put them a foot
inside.

Many fences in nearby back yards are shared fences. At least the side
fences are. This new back door neighbor is doing a gut renovation of his
rowhouse. At least a million dollar renovation. He is putting up all the
fences himself, so that he can have a consistent look around his property.
I'm happy to not have to share the cost, and happy to get the extra couple
of inches of having it all on his property.

Plus the side lines don't line up. His back line abuts two neighbors. So he
would have four neighbors to convince to share.

I went out of my way to hire the same surveyor that he hired. This gets me
his survey on my survey. Though after his survey he added an extension
which isn't shown. See:

http://donwiss.com/housemanual/492-1...out-Survey.jpg