Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Fence facing etiquette

"Han" wrote
This must be locality-dependent. Around here (NJ), a fence must face
good side out, and be 1 foot or more inside the property line. Of
course, if 2 property owners agree to put up a single fence right on the
property line, you most likely can do that, but I am not sure what
happens when one of the properties changes hands.

--
Best regards
Han

When I lived in Philly, fences were on the property line and cost was often
shared. Ownership was transferred with property. Many row houses had
fences in the back yard on the line if shared, inches inside if not. Since
some houses were only 16' wide, it was not practical to put them a foot
inside.