Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick Adams[_2_] Dick Adams[_2_] is offline

Default Rules on Asbestos

hr(bob) wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:

The tile flooring in my basement is 40 years old and has
asbestos in it. According to State publication, vinyl
tile is considered non-friable asbestos and, if I follow
some common sense procedures, it can be a DIY project.

One problem is I'm looking at 3 rooms, 2 hallways, and
a 720 sq.ft back of the basement area with oil tank, oil
furnace, washer, dryer, large sink, and massive storage.
It's possible to do the rooms and hallways individually,
but not 720 sq.ft. ?The only option I see is to cover
the existing tiles - but with what?

Any and all constructive suggestions will be appreciated.

Go to your local flooring store and look at all the options. You
don't say why you want to get a new floor. You don't say if you have
any potential water problems, how much ceiling clearance there is,
what sort of walls/wall treatments there are. How long are you
planning on staying in the house? If you are looking for cheap and
fast, a layer of epoxy garage floor type paint might do. You could
put a new layer of vinyl tile down if the present floor is smooth.
What activities are there in the basement. Teenagers might call for
something different than if you have amodel railroad setup, etc.

I'm planning on being out of here in 3 to 7 years and I would
rather spend labor while I'm still able to spend it.

I'll have to go back and look, but I recall reading that you were
not suppose to paint over it or apply a floor leveling compound
to it.

Thanks