Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Fence facing etiquette

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following on 10/19/2012 11:10 PM (ET):

"HeyBub" wrote in message

There are actual LAWS governing the orientation of fences?

Must suck to live in such places.

Sucks even more to need a fence. Nearest to me is four properties up.
Never had a problem with dogs or kids.

A fence is required by local code in some places when an in-ground pool
is installed. The only fencing I have is around my pool with a 6 foot
high wooden privacy fence at the property line setback and 4 foot high
plastic picket type fencing around the other sides of the pool area.
The fencing is to keep little kids from wandering into the pool area.
The 4" picket type doesn't keep the deer out if they want to get in there.
Just for keeping on the original topic, the 6 foot high fence I had
along the property line was a double sided fence (no bad side).
I had the pool and fence installed 20 years ago per setback code at 6
inches from the property line. The pool was setback at least 10 feet per
code. 20 years later, I had to replace the wooden 'fabric' between the
4"x4" PT posts due to it starting to fall apart. This new wooden fabric
was one-sided with the bad side facing my side.
At that time, the setback had been increased to 3 feet from the property
line. Since I had not removed the original posts and had left them
where they were installed 20 years before, I was 'grandfathered' at the
6 foot setback.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY