Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Fence facing etiquette

" wrote:

Good grief. There is no "good side" of chain link fencing.

Of course there is. By code the posts must go inside the yard. That makes
one side "good" and the other side not.

No, neither are "good". They're all uglier than sin and banned in my
neighborhoods. Come to think of it, they've been banned every place I've
lived.

Ugly or not, allowed or not, for the purposes of this discussion, the good
side has no poles.

Chain link fence is still used around schools, ball fields, etc. Poles are
always installed on the interior, which is what this thread is about.

You could say that there is no good side of board-on-board fence, but for
the same reason, there is. The posts must go on the owner's side.

Utter nonsense. One side has visible horizontal supports as well as posts,
neither of which can be seen from the "good" side.

Utter what? Your conception of board-on-board fence must be different than
everybody else's.

http://www.butlerfence.com/images/products/Board.jpg
http://www.gmfence.com/board.html
http://www.alleghenyfence.com/images/wres5B.jpg

Perhaps you are thinking of solid board or solid board-on-board fencing?

http://whitmorefence.com/ALBUM_Privacy/IMG_0620.jpg

Just as aside, the posts in the solid board picture above might actually be
seen from the good side, but I don't think anyone would complain. It might
even look nicer than just one long solid fence on the "good side"

One last note...

I forgot that there is a way to install board-on-board with 2 good sides.
If you double up the number of horizontal supports, you can sandwich the
posts between the interior and exterior panels. The horizontals and posts
would be visible from both sides but it is an approved method in my town.
Typically you need to overlap the vertical boards more since they are
farther apart and therefore more open when viewed at an angle. In that
manner you can have two good sides without doubling the cost of the fence,
but it is still more expensive than the one good side method.