Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Condensors white or silver?

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:24:23 -0400, "
wrote:

On 19 Oct 2012 14:24:14 GMT, Han wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

If a refrigerator is used outdoors, in the summer.
The condensor on the back, is black tubing. As
we know, black absorbs heat from the sun shine,
which makes the compressor work harder.

Of course, that condensor can be painted. Which
color paint is coolest in summer, and works best
to release the heat from the refrigerator? White, or
silver?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

The condensor is black because black radiates heat better. To make it
functioning that way, put an awning of some kind over the fridge to keep
solar radiation off of it.

"Black" in the visible range doesn't matter much at the far infrared
wavelengths the refrigerator will be operating at. It matters some in direct
sunlight because there is a significant component of sunlight in the visible
range (duh!). My point is that its "color" in visible light doesn't mean a
lot. The emissivity at the operating point matters.

White or silver doesn't make a difference, as
long as it is as opaque as can be. In addition, rig a small fan up so
there is additional cooling when the fridge is in cooling mode.

Again, color doesn't matter, as far as the operation of the refrigerator,
itself. If the object is to reflect visible sunlight, white is better.

How do you know that black paint doesn't radiate and absorb infrared
better too? Because it's not visible, you can't tell by looking but
you can by feeling.

I know that when I had a convertible with a black top, it was hot as
hell in there after it sat in the sun. Once I caught on, I've had
light green once and tan several time and it's almost comfortable even
after sitting in the mid-summer sun.

Similarly a black steering wheel is hot enough to hurt one's hands
when the inside of the car is hot. No other color I've had is. And
the black seats would burn the inside of my thighs when I wore shorts,
but tan and white don't do that.

And my home, which may well not have enough insulation in the attic,
was too hot to go upstairs when I had a dark shingle roof, even with a
roof fan. . The new roof is medium brown and it's comfortable now
with just a fan in the bedroom (and the roof fan) . However I used
to use the heat from the attic to warm the upstairs in the late fall
and early spring. That doesn't work anymore, because it doesn't get
as hot up there.

And the son of the owner of one of the two biggest department stores
in Indianapolis (Block's) built a house next to his parents on their
beautiful lot overlooking the White River. He had dark shingles
and 1 or 2 months later in the summer they were replaced with white
shingles. It was clear to me that dark shingles made it too hot
inside.