Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K[_2_] Harry K[_2_] is offline

Default Fence facing etiquette

On Oct 19, 3:53*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 06:12:09 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

When I was young I learned that fence facing etiquette is to have the
pretty side of the fence facing outward towards your neighbors. My
questions:

(1) Is this a law in places?

Yes. * *Even if the neighbor *prefers* the other side.

My brother's neighbor put up a stockade fence with the horizontals on
my brother's side. * He asked his neighbor if he minded if he minded
if he used those horizontals to hang some plants on the nice
south-facing vertical surface. * * The neighbor was happy with his
smooth side-- my brother was happy with the easy to use horizontal
slats- and then the building inspector stopped by. * *He made the guy
take the fence down and switch it around! * *Luckily it was along a
level spot so the fence was salvageable as-is.

Jim

An actual "law"? I doubt that, part of HOA agreements, city ordinance
and the like I can see but to have such nit-ppicking written as an
actual law seems to be stretching the "The Law is an ass" concept.

Harry K