Posted to alt.home.repair

Default White, no black, is the new stainless

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:12:48 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 10/18/2012 02:33 PM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In article , wrote:

Stainless will be around a while because it holds up well. Paint chips
and fades. Stainless is still stainless

I have to disagree. "They" are making stainless so cheaply these days that it
rusts. I'm sure there are ultra-premium exceptions, but there are plenty of
reports of people having trouble with their SS appliances rusting. My own
Whirlpool stove is a disaster in this respect.

I just had a new Maytag refrigerator delivered yesterday, and chose black over
SS for just this reason.

The whole appeal for stainless was due to the fact that high end
remodels were using commercial kitchen equipment. This cost a lot of
money, but you got commercial quality.

"Commercial quality" isn't all that useful in a residential setting.

Eventually this got diluted into the desire for nothing more than
stainless as a "look", with the inevitable lowering of the price point,
and cheaply-built appliances using cheap "stainless".

Some. You get what you pay for.

Now that people are "discovering" this obvious fact, they would rather
have a painted appliance that is made well than a POS in a "stainless" box.

Utter nonsense. We'd have nothing but stainless (and granite, for that
matter) in the kitchen. Painted appliances suck.