Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Installing a loft floor

On 19/10/2012 13:40, wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2012 1:35:52 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 19/10/2012 00:07,
wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:17:37 PM UTC+1, GMM wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:11:45 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:07:08 PM UTC+1, GMM wrote:
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:56:57 PM UTC+1, (unknown)
wrote:

Probably the most compelling argument (for me) could be the fact
that I have to lug them up 3 floors to get them in, but that only
needs to be done once.

Lots of victorian houses have 14' 2x4, 2x3 and even 1.5x3 loft
joists, which all support a fully loaded loft without problem.

4x2 joisted lofts usually feel reasonably solid underfoot. However it is
surprising just how much they creep over time, even without too much
weight on them.
If you look at:
http://internode.co.uk/loft/images/sag.jpg
That is looking at a new floor joist over a ceiling supported by 4.2m
4x2" joists.
one of the "D" joists as per:
http://internode.co.uk/temp/beam-layout.gif
The spacing under the ends of the new beam was approx 3/4 to 1" at the
wall plates. Mid span the gap under the joist is getting on for 4" - so
the ceiling had sagged around 3" mid span since when it was originally
built in 1956 (photo taken some time 2004). That was with just light
storage use on chipboard loft panels.

That's heavily at variance with my own experiences. I don't know why.

Its possibly a reflection of the fact its actually quite difficult to
observe a sag of a few inches over a 4m+ span, unless you stick a
straight edge against it like I had in effect done there, or have some
way of sighting along the timber.

The sag was not visible in the room below, although I expect that had
you have gone round with a measuring stick you would have seen it.

--
Cheers,

John.