Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Power cuts.

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 14:22:44 +0100, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

On 19/10/2012 14:20, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:41:27 +0100, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
And don't forget the kindling as well! We've got loads of firewood,
but I was really struggling to light the fire last night as I had to
scrabble around the shed for something vaguely useful to start the
thing off. And I had no newspaper, and A4 printer paper isn't that
good. Oops!

One of my friends takes the fluff out of the tumble dryer's filter and
stuffs it into empty toilet roll tubes to make little fire-starting
'logs'. Works incredibly well.

I bet he didn't learn that from Ray Mears. Never seen a tumble dryer on
the tundra...

Well that's obviously because they're nocturnal and experts at
camouflage...

I suppose it's a good way of making something out of what might be
readily available around the house (well, with a bit of planning,
anyway). Me, I just save all the small offcuts from the workshop in a
couple of 5 gallon buckets and use those. The lady who used to own our
house meanwhile seemed to source her kindling from a local sawmill -
there was a good stack of strips with two cut sides and bark on the
remainder in the basement when we moved in (the house had a monstrous
wood-burning furnace, although it's no longer in use)

cheers

Jules