Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default 3hr power cut thanks to some trees

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:11:22 +0100, Michael Kilpatrick
wrote:

On 19/10/2012 11:56, wrote:

t was the farmer
as they are over the fence but though he does trim them to clear the
combine he says they are actually on a bit of land left when an estate
sold the land we live on 70 years ago ,probably a sort of ransom strip
that has now been forgotten about.

Lovely, that's helpful! Erm, is that right next to your property? Does
the rule about claiming land by fencing it in and hoping no-one notices
for seven years, still exist? Or was that always a myth?

It wouldn't be worth the hassle really,if it as the farmer says then
it's only about a 6ft strip. We have the trees on it and I would still
have to deal with them or remove them and despite the fact they are a
nuisance at times they do act as a windbreak and I like to spot the
owls that frequently stop over in them. Some near neighbours without
trees have cultivated a strip of vegetables allotment style on it
The family who may own it are still around and own quite a few parcels
of land in the area via an investment company and the matriarch of
the family who is in her nineties lives nearby . She was refused
planning permission many years ago for an extension/modifications on
her house so a field on the opposite side of our place which the
council in the 60's wanted to build some houses on she has refused to
sell since then. An acquaintance rents it very cheaply as it saves the
old bat the trouble of trimming the hedges etc herself . At the moment
it has some horses in it and we have permission to put some chickens
in but haven't got around to it. There are at least 3 places in the
village within walking distance that have fresh eggs from there own
birds available so probably won't bother. The missus has hankerings
to ask to keep a Donkey there but god know what she would do with it.

G.Harman