Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More on electric cars.

polygonum wrote:
On 18/10/2012 22:17, John Williamson wrote:
Transporting liquefied natural gas from Australia to the USA in modern
tankers costs less than 1% of the total energy supplied by the gas. The
tanker engines are run by tapping off the natural vapourisation as the
LNG tanks warm up during the voyage, and some of the gas is used to
drive refrigeration plant.

Thanks. I assume the LNG includes the costs of liquefaction?

The figures were quoted in an article in Scientific American a few years
ago on tanker and pipeline design, so I'd assume the initial
liquefaction wasn't included, while the cost of keeping it liquid
definitely was.

This article:-

http://www.fe.doe.gov/programs/oilga..._primerupd.pdf

Says "This “boil off” gas, about 0.15 percent of the
volume per day, fuels the liquefaction facility, LNG
transport ships, and receiving terminals where LNG is
regasified."

That's to get the gas from Trinidad and Tobago to the USA mainland.

So, it would seem to be even more efficient than I remember reading a
few years ago.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.