Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More on electric cars.

polygonum wrote:

Should there not be an allowance for distribution costs/inefficiencies
of the diesel - if you are including transmission losses for elctricity?
Mind, I have no idea of the likely magnitude of that.

Distribution and refining costs of diesel fuel from well-head to pump in
terms of energy lost are on the order of 10%, depending on where the
market is in relation to the well-head. After being refined at our
nearest refinery, the tanker uses about 100 litres of fuel to deliver
20,000 litres to our fleet fuel tank, then we use about 10 litres
equivalent of electricity to pump it from the holding tank into the
buses. If we had a raised tank, the pump energy cost would be zero.
Double the tanker fuel consumption if you live in Birmingham, halve it
if you live in Liverpool. In more densely populated areas, the fuel is
pumped from the refinery to central holding areas such as the Buncefield
Depot near Hemel Hampstead, which has piped links to at least one
airport. These use even less fuel than the tankers, but cost a lot more
to build.

Transporting liquefied natural gas from Australia to the USA in modern
tankers costs less than 1% of the total energy supplied by the gas. The
tanker engines are run by tapping off the natural vapourisation as the
LNG tanks warm up during the voyage, and some of the gas is used to
drive refrigeration plant.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.