Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing lightbulbs

Have to send them out for dry cleanining. New expense, for people.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
With the old incandescent bulbs, washing lightbulbs was pretty simple.
Just remove them from the fixture, then dip them in the sink and wash
them. Wipe them dry with a dish towel, and replace them.

These new CF bulbs are different. Dipping them in water results in
their base filling up with water. This is where their electronics are
located, so once they are dipped in water, they are ruined, or at least
require weeks or more to completely dry internally. On top of this,
their swirlly glass top is much harder to clean. So far, it appears
that the only way to clean them is to use Q-tips and spend a half hour
to clean each bulb. This is time consuming and very annoying.

We wash our bulbs about twice a year. What used to take two or three
hours, now takes two or three days. We're not impressed with these new
bulbs. At least they could seal them so that water can not get inside
when they are washed.

Has anyone found a better way to clean these CF bulbs?