nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Is my fan a legacy from when fridges would really overheat without
one?
No, if the problem was that a mouse got caught in the fan, it was the condenser fan that wasn't working; not the evaporator fan. Most fridges don't have a condenser fan and rely on convection for cooling the compressed refrigerant. That's what that black tubing at the back of a typical fridge is all about. It's generally larger fridges like side-by-sides that have the condenser coil at the bottom of the fridge and a fan to blow air through that condenser coil. Smaller fridges typically have their condenser coil on the back of the fridge.

I expect that a condenser fan that's gone on the blink for whatever reason would affect the fridge's ability to keep food cold and frozen, but I've never heard of a fridge overheating and being ruined because of the condenser fan not working. I expect that appliance manufacturers test their fridges to make sure the condenser coil is large enough to allow for sufficient cooling even if the condenser fan isn't working.

Last edited by nestork : October 18th 12 at 06:56 AM