Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A QED question

It is an interesting read - read the notes in the front of the book -
whence it came - and how and why - Friend, wife and himself!.....

Martin

On 10/16/2012 11:23 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 20:43:28 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

I have the book. I advise getting one and reading a section - and you
can look it over and over to gain an insight when needed.

Martin

On 10/15/2012 11:10 AM,
wrote:
I was watching a lecture about QED given by Richard Feynman. Part of
the lecture was about the reflection of light. This is what I think he
said, paraphrased: When shining a light at a reflective surface the
probabability that the light will take the shortest path or the
longest path to a detector, placed anywhere, is equal. However, the
AMPLITUDE of the probability is not equal, but varies. The light
particles with the highest amplitude are the ones we see when the
incident angle and the exit angle are the same, the shortest path. So
I think Feynman said the probablity can be the same but the amplitude
of the probability can be different. Is that correct? If so, can
anyone point me to a web site that explains this in a way a layman can
sort of understand?
Thanks,
Eric

That's what I'm gonna do. I have other books by and about Richard
Feynman. Entertaining reading. So now I need to get all of his
lectures in book form that are available. I did find a web site
devoted to these works. Fo someone without a strong math background
the stuff he talks about is a little hard to grasp sometimes. But it
sure is fun!
Eric