Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Installing a loft floor

On 17/10/2012 20:42, GMM wrote:
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:28:07 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/10/2012 11:49, GMM wrote:

The bottom left of drawing:
http://internode.co.uk/temp/beam-layout.gif Shows beam F
terminating on one of these shoes. It in effect takes one end of
the entire floor load.

Do you have any details of what you used for that please? They could
come in handy here...

Its was a masonry fix shoe. In fact there is a picture there of it:

http://internode.co.uk/temp/shoe.jpg

I just had a quick look at the design load, and it was 8.47 kN. From
memory the shoe was rated at 12 or 15 kN.

The type of hanger used also makes a difference. With a suitably
rigid one that will not attempt to "unwind" and flip the wall plate
over, most of the load is simply pushing the wall plate hard
against the top of the masonry - there should be very little
lateral load.

It seems there's definitely a case for a good snug fit on the joists,
which would ensure the forces all resolve in the right directions.

Yup. You could by the sounds of it simply bolt a timber to the wall, and
then nail hangers to that.

Another option would be the masonry hangers that are designed to be
built into a leaf of brickwork. These can be retrofitted by raking
out some mortar and then mortaring back in. They don't require any
bolting as such.

I had thought of these but sort of dismissed them as it's pretty
unlikely that the mortar courses are level enough across the space to
end up with a level floor. That may not be a very good excuse nor
that I didn't fancy spending too much time up there chiselling out
mortar (!) but it just looks like they might not be such a robust fix
as the timber mounted ones. I could easily be wrong there.

Its easy enough to add a timber packer under the beam where it goes into
a shoe to tweak they height it sits in the shoe. For that matter you can
even trim the bottom of the a small amount if needs be.

--
Cheers,

John.