Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
BobS[_2_] BobS[_2_] is offline

Default Exterior wood protection?

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Before it gets too cold I would like to get at least some paint on all the
exterior wood I've put up:
pressure treated fencing, T1-11 gates, plywood planters (approx 1.5 x 1 x
3').

As far as paint (water based) goes, I heard that exterior gloss is the best,
followed by semi-gloss, then flat. Still true?

I read that polyurethane (water based) was not suitable for outside, which
never made sense to me. Is this true?

Recently here, someone made reference to wood stains not providing much wood
protection. If I use stain, what clear coating can I put over the stain,
that will do a good job?

Are "water seals" (the proverbial Thompsons, which I understand is middling
in effectiveness) generally clear? Can one mix stain in with them? What is
regarded as a better seal, that is generally available?

For non-staining apps, I have tons of exta paint lying around. Is it OK to
use any ole paint as a primer, without compromising the final coat? iyr, I
kluged together a paint sprayer/pressure pot deal, which worked great on a
T1-11 gate. I will be using this sprayer as much as possible. More on my
Sprayer Saga in another post.

I heard of something called "edge primer", for the ends, edges of wood.
Worthwhile? Good for non-edges?

For the plywood planters, I have some Frontier fibre roof coating, which is
like a paintable tar, close to the viscosity of paint. This was recommended
by some gardening sources.
Should I prime the planters with regular paint before applying this roof
coating?

Any advice, tips, experiences, war stories would be helpful.
--
EA

My over 10 year old shed with T-1-11 siding and pine trim, with shutters and
windows made from pine still looks good after using oil based primer and two
coats of latex based exterior paint. Located in upstate NY, where you can
only purchase oil based products in quarts due to the amount of VOC's.

I used an egg shell (almost flat) paint on the siding and a satin (light
gloss) for the trim with a gloss for the shutters to give the place a bit of
snap.

Not my advice but I got it from a retired painter that did this for a living
for many years and it turns out he was absolutely correct.

T-1-11 siding is a tough siding to cover so the primer and paint can provide
protection. I used a wire brush to flake off any loose wood particles
(brush with the grain) and then sprayed the primer on thinned to the specs
for the sprayer I was using. I made sure the primer coverage was adequate
and that it soaked in.

Two coats of the exterior grade paint were applied with a roller and a brush
and it was worked in to all the crevices and cracks. Thick paint may cover
but it may not get into all the crevices that prevents moisture from getting
under the paint and flaking it off after a few years. Two coats, lightly
thinned and worked into the wood did it for me.

My only problem after about 5 years was some bleed thru of knots on the trim
boards on the soffit. Some light sanding and quart of primer and another top
coat of the satin trim paint has lasted another 5 years.

BobS.