Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Exterior wood protection?

On 10/16/2012 3:36 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 11:11:53 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Before it gets too cold I would like to get at least some paint on all the
exterior wood I've put up:
pressure treated fencing, T1-11 gates, plywood planters (approx 1.5 x 1 x
3').

Any advice, tips, experiences, war stories would be helpful.

I already forgot about exterior paint. Here's my tip on that.
Let any exterior wood rot away and replace with new wood to rot away.
Use cedar if you can. Lasts longer and looks good natural.
Or plastic that doesn't rot.
For expensive-to-replace and must-look-painted stuff on the house,
have it clad with aluminum or plastic.
Exterior painting - except for bridges - is stone-age.

Do you live in Arkansas?