Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default How long should Refrigerator Evaporator Fan Motors Last?

On 2012-10-16, SMS wrote:
I replaced a bad motor on a five year old Whirlpool refrigerator. It was
a simple replacement, but it doesn't seem like a fan motor should last
only five years, especially when it's in the freezer and not getting hot.

We recently replaced a fan motor in a 7 yr old Whirlpool. Near as I
can tell, Whirlpool no longer makes even a mediocre product. Her
nearly new GE, which the Whirlpool replaced, died in 5 yrs. My old GE
was over 25 yrs old before the evap motor needed replacement. Today's
appliances are all junk.

I had a 7 year old GE compressor fail a couple years ago.
Replaced it with another different GE. They're all made in Mexico I
think. I know the failed one was. But they're all "possible" junk.
It's silly to buy refrigerator parts to keep on hand.
It's mostly initial quality luck of the draw.
Not recommending this, but I bought a warranty for the GE washer my
wife had to have because there were so many early failures in the
reviews. People going for weeks with no machine, then failing again.
Figured the extra 3 bills for a 5 year immediate replacement warranty
was worth not going to the laundro-mat.
Of course the machine has worked perfectly past the warranty period.
That's okay. I figured the warranty cost into the total 5-year cost
and that's exactly what it cost over the first 5 years.
Never had to worry about it after I accepted the cost.