Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default How long should Refrigerator Evaporator Fan Motors Last?

I replaced a bad motor on a five year old Whirlpool refrigerator. It was
a simple replacement, but it doesn't seem like a fan motor should last
only five years, especially when it's in the freezer and not getting hot.

The motor wasn't in stock at the local appliance parts place (who wanted
more than $60 to order it). I ordered it off of Amazon for $30.64 +
$5.28 shipping. It came in three days. Not a big deal since the owner
(mother-in-law) had a second identical refrigerator that was in a
downstairs in an empty in-law unit, so I just took that motor to use in
her fridge.

Now I'm wondering if I should buy a spare motor to have when the next
one goes out, since the two fridges were bought at the same time, and
now the fridge upstairs has the 5 year old motor.