View Single Post
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Price for rough cherry?

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:27:17 AM UTC-7, Jim Weisgram wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:29:23 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com" wrote: What is anybody paying for rough 4/4 cherry now days? West coast would be most relevant. 8 footers mostly 6+ inches wide. I have some huge stacks in the SF bay area and might want to sell some off... I need the space sooner than I can consume the wood. It is not top notch stuff, some knots and some checking in the stack I want to sell off. I could S2S1E the stuff but I rarely joint 8 footers so I gave it a try on my 8" PM jointer and it was not fun. I usually break down the rough first and then start surfacing. Would (wood) rather sell it rough. I don't know this for certain, but I think s2s wood is normally planed, not jointed, on both faces. I don't think I would bother jointing wood until just before I was going to use it in a project.

Yes, I am of the same impression but I also believe they do what they call skip planing with a two sided planer and the feed rollers are farther away and you don't have as much effect of pushing the board flat to a table.