Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor  Drivel is offline

Default RCD Keeps tripping on new installation

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

If you have sockets for general purpose use, then you need an RCD

Where does it state that?

In the 17th - look it up.

It doesn't.

411.3.3 you Norfolk bred webfooted lummox.

"In a.c. systems, additiona protection by means of an RCD in accordance
with
Regulation 415.1 shall be provided for:

(i) socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20A that are for use
by ordinary persons and are intended for general use..."

415.1: 30mA and 40mS at 5In

Have you even read the regs? Or are you too busy rummaging in the bushes
with a copy of Boilers Monthly and Prius's Stripped?

If you have electricity used in a room with a bath or shower, then
you need an RCD

Not if above 2550mm from floor and out of the "zones"

Depends if you have supplimentary bonding. Lack of supplimentary
bonding requires all circuits in the wet room be RCD protected.

Yep.

If you have sockets that could reasonably be expected to be used to
power an appliance used outside, then you need a RCD.

If nothing outside, then no RCD.

Completely wrong since the 17th.

Show me where it states an RCD is mandatory?

To be more specific. An RCD is not mandatory on THE WHOLE SYSTEM. Many
belie it is with duel RCD CUs becoming the norm. That was clear what I was
on about. RCD is only manatory on sockets for general use of portable
appliances. A dedicated line to a socket behind an oven will not need an
RCD.