Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Gotta hand it to the tories.

On Oct 15, 6:57*pm, John Williamson
wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

They are landowners so pay LVT on the value of the land only. No Income
tax or Sales tax, etc. *Studies have proven that a owner/occupier man on
£40K per year when changing over to LVT would be approx £6-7K better off
each year. *Then land prices will remain steady and people could afford
bigger and better homes at highly affordable prices.

Given that any government will spend as much as they can get away with
as a proportion of GDP, if a change was made to Land Value Tax as the
only revenue, the total amount raised would be the same as it is now,
or, if they think they can get away with it, greater. Therefore, on
average, we would all be paying at least the same amount of tax as now.
The only winner would be the government and, temporarily, the people
paid to assess the new tax.

Even people who rent their homes or business premises will end up paying
the new tax, as the land owner will pass it on,no matter how well
disguised this is.

I think we could solve our problems if (when this cockup is resolved)
we have law to the effect that the government can't borrow money, the
national budget must always be balanced.