Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gotta hand it to the tories.

Doctor Drivel wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

They are landowners so pay LVT on the value of the land only. No
Income tax or Sales tax, etc. Studies have proven that a
owner/occupier man on £40K per year when changing over to LVT would
be approx £6-7K better off each year. Then land prices will remain
steady and people could afford bigger and better homes at highly
affordable prices.

Given that any government will spend as much as they can get away with
as a proportion of GDP, if a change was made to Land Value Tax as the
only revenue, the total amount raised would be the same as it is now,
or, if they think they can get away with it, greater. Therefore, on
average, we would all be paying at least the same amount of tax as
now.

No. Read above.

Rubbish. Unless you really believe that HMG will accept a reduction in
revenue.

The only winner would be the government and, temporarily, the
people paid to assess the new tax.

The winners will be all. HMG revenue would drop as LVT encourages
enterprise - the easy route to predator unearned income - land and its
resources - is gone. Those who own land would have to work harder to
make it pay. No absentee landlords who use owning land and house as
lucrative sideline.

HMG revenue would not be allowed to drop, as HMG will do whatever they
need to do to increase it beyond the old level.

To take your point about absentee landlords no longer using owning land
and house as a lucrative sudeline, what would happen to said house and
land? If there's no point in renting it out as housing, then it will be
demolished or re-purposed, so removing it from the market and increasing
market rent, as the demand for housing is fixed. (In fact, it is
constantly increasing due to various factors)

Even people who rent their homes or business premises will end up
paying the new tax, as the land owner will pass it on,no matter how
well disguised this is.

Read my other post on this. LVT CANNOT be passed on as the free-market
comes to level the limit.

Join the real world. Landlords will either pass on the increase, or sell
the land to a new owner, who will then issue new rental agreements. No
matter what, the tenants will end up paying the amount of the tax in
addition to the rent they now pay. They will be able to afford this as
they are not paying VAT or income tax in your world. In other words,
market rents will increase. The total tax burden will stay the same or
increase slightly. The tenant's other choice, especially for businesses
where location isn't important, will be to move, leaving the landlord
with tax to pay and no income, which may lead to the government taking
possession of the land in lieu of taxes.

Incidentally, Income tax was only introduced to pay for a war, with the
promise that it would be removed after the war finished, Vehicle excise
duty similarly. I note that many years after the wars in question ended,
we're still paying them. I honestly can't see our government introducing
LVT and then removing a single tax from the existing framework.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.