Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default OT neighbor

Norminn wrote:
On 10/15/2012 5:25 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:45:43 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Jan Taylor wrote the following on 10/15/2012 11:41 AM (ET):
Hello everyone. My husband used to post here, before he passed several
years ago. I used to enjoy reading this forum along side of him in the
evenings.

I have a "what would you do" question.

My neighbor has large trees, which overhang our property. During this past
wind storm, several large limbs ended up on my property. I asked him if he
could remove them, so I could cut the lawn. He called me every name in the
book, and told me it's my problem.

I suppose I could hire someone to remove them, but only having a fixed
income, and Arty didn't have life insurance, sure puts a bind on things
around here. I'd move them myself, but at 73, I'm afraid I don't have the
strength to, as it already takes me several days to cut the grass on a city
lot.

What would you do?

Thank you.

I hate these neighbor dispute questions. It usually winds up with
getting revenge as the only solution.
Revenge - Everything that hangs over your property is yours, including
tree branches from other properties. The neighbor is usually not
required to remove his fallen branches from your property.
So, you get a tree person to cut up the fallen branches on your property
and then have them cut all the branches on your neighbor's trees that
hang over your property so they don't fall on your property any more.

Perhaps if you told him that beforehand, he'll remove the branches.

MOST places the tree is his, the damage is his - or his liability
insurance - and if you shave everything off your side of his tree, you
are liable for the damage to his tree.

Normally, branches over my property are MY responsibility. If the trees
on the neighbor's property are in poor condition, then it can be a code
violation and the city can require removal.

I consider leaves from my trees in other yards my problem. I hope the wind
bows real hard again this year so you can't see anything. Been like that a
couple years.

Greg