Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Do bags, open containers of mortar/concrete/plaster go bad?

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
Assuming they are still dry, of course. A local home center guy said
yes, prolonged exposure to air renders it unusable.
How old is old? How to test? My own little spot tests (small
mounds on a board) are really crumbly, but I haven't compared it to
fresh stuff yet.

Yes, they go bad. You can tell because the bag gets hard

If there are large (lemon - orange size) hard lumps in the bag, dump it.
If the lumps are small (pea - bean) and the rest is still powder, use it
being sure to crush the lumps.

Around (central Florida) here an unopened bag is bad in a year or so. I
keep both opened and unopened bags in a garbage bag tied shut and even an
opened bag is good for a year.

Here's the thing: these bags, containers have been around for years, and
are still smooth, powdery (as opposed to being truly "dry", in a humidity
sense -- kept inside, in the northeast..
The masonry guy says that they definitely can, will go bad, even tho they
look ok.

I'm going to do some test patches on wood, compare, report back.
--
EA

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net