Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor  Drivel is offline

Default More on electric cars.

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Doctor Drivel invalid@not-
for-mail.invalid scribeth thus
harry wrote:
On Sep 24, 10:49 am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
harry wrote:

Volkswagen have been experimenting with thermpiles in the exhaust
to make electricity and thus eliminating the alternator.

Crikey. An alternator is actually a very efficient device. Sounds
like they're clutching at straws.

An automotive alternator is very inefficient. And not having it
removes a parasitic load from the IC engine.

Harry fantastic, you got it! Unlike some other seniles. An
alternator can take 9-15hp off an engine. Remove it, the mechanical
parasitical loads like oil pump,

So how do you propose this new engine will be lubed then?..

Electric oil pumps.

water pump,

And cooled unless its so so efficient it runs just warm to the
touch?..

Electric water pump that varies its speed.

a/c,

Well we can always just sweat I suppose..

Electric .

and the HP of an engine will rise substantially.
Then the engines can be downsized reducing fuel consumption again.

Suppose we'll have to find candles for the lights so the price of
tallow;!.

You are just plain silly.

Just having an alternator with a clutch that cuts out when
accelerating mean the engine can be downsized and acceleration
improved. Also the starter motors can be downsized as well (cheaper
& less weight

That really going the make any real difference how much of a
percentage is that compared to the weight of the battery system.
Course I suppose once the cars rolling on leccy it can be bump
started...

BMW got 20% increase in Power.

and power drawn from
the battery). All this is easy to do, like the next model update
could have it all - Instead of a 1600cc the engine could be 1300cc.