Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default chifforobe castors

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 09:43:22 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"basilisk" wrote:

I have an old chifforobe made in the 1920's
the wood wheel castors are broken/wornout.

I considered fitting it with modern ball bearing
castors, but the idea doesn't appeal to me.
Kinda like putting a CD player in a 1905
Pierce Arrow.

The other option is to repair the old wheels,
this is doable, but I am curious as to what kind of wood
to make the replacement wheels from.

Hickory, hard maple, lignum vitae ?

Any ideas?

Lignum vitae would be my first choice followed by Hickory and perhaps
Beech.

"Ironwood" comes to mind but it is very tough to machine and as I
understand
it there are several varities based on local and is probably best left
to fence posts.

Lew

LV my first choice as well, and I do have a local source.
There is a local company that stocks it for saw guides.

The available new offerings for wood castors do not specify
a type of wood, maybe they're good, maybe not.

basilisk