Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Sharp meter leads

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:13:17 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I just got the meter leads I ordered. They have a very fine point that
is very sharp. They will be very useful to test connections, since they
can pierce the oxide layer of old solder joints. The tiny point will
let you probe inside some connectors without seperating them. and on the
side of the Dupont type header connectors.

They are sold as four sets for $21.99 and have shrouded plugs, for
newer meters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221013527670

Frankly..Id be careful of those. The ad indicates Sharp COPPER probe
tips and copper is very fragile/bendable.

What I do..is take a set of leads with the common steel tips..and
carefully grind them to a sharp point. They last a very long time that
way and I can be brutal with them.

The ad mentioned them being useful for reading close packed SMDs and
whatnot rather than any ability to punch through jacket material.

whoops...just reread your posting..."oxide layer" not jacket
material...sorry...just woke up.

Blush!

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered
by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire