Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell Nick Odell is offline

Default Stupid pointless CFLs

On 2012-10-15, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article om,
brass monkey wrote:
Steve is correct, they're crap unless you use a string of them. As
normal replacements they don't cut it (unless you replace 40W candles
with 25W CFLs 'ish). In toilets they're completely useless (unless you
know when you'll be piddling and switch on beforehand).

And the amount of energy they save in a toilet - where the light won't be
on for long - totally pointless. Yet because they have such a poor
performance, many only fit them where they aren't much used, like toilets
and cupboards, etc.

I went back to GLS lamps in both toilets for this reason.

CFLs are ideal in the loft, though - the long lifetimes mean I don't have
to get up there to swap them very often, I don't have to look at them, the
poor quality of the light doesn't matter and they don't waste as much
'leccy when I forget and leave them switched on for days. (ObDIY; I really
must put a repeater lamp in the upstairs hall ceiling. A mains neon would
be ideal.)

Yes. It was when I discovered that I must have left two 100w bulbs
burning in the loft for about three months that I became an early
convert to CFLs. Needless to say, I never forgot again about swithing
off the loft lights.

Nick