Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Stupid pointless CFLs

On Monday, October 15, 2012 11:01:00 AM UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 15/10/2012 09:21, charles wrote:

you obviously had some very bad CFLs. I find that those made by Megaman

are good.

Philips Tornado bulbs are very good, too, but not cheap. 2 seconds to

turn on, then very bright.

I agree that a lot of CFLs are crap, particularly the ones that used to

be sold for 10p as some sort of energy efficiency drive.

I have found that the exposed spiral type 25 watt versions seem to be fine wherever they come from. The cheepos from tescos before the subsidies ended are OK for us, used to replace 60 watt tungsten.

I also have some free 11W stick types, and they are about as bright as a wax candle and take 30 seconds to get there. I have one in the under stairs cupboard and it is just about satisfactory !

Unfortunately my pile of 60W tungsten also from tescos seem to be crap and only last a couple of months - I wish I'd stockpiled with something decent like Philips.

Simon.