Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor  Drivel is offline

Default Gotta hand it to the tories.

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Drivel
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
harry writes
Land Valuation Tax, fixed yearly on an annual land value
assessment, will redress the problem in a very much more elegant
and fair manner and reduce or even eliminate destructive and unfair
Income and Sales Taxes if implemented fully. Land cannot be taken
offshore so the tax cannot be avoided.

We need land to grow food dribble.
So how much tax would you pay if you owned no land?

Dribbler and his ilk probably own no land so would live on the back of
others.

Currently landowners are freeloaders not paying tax on the unearned gains.
Landowners live off the backs of the landless. Land Valuation Tax would
sort it out.

So. Do you own any land?

Yes, I am a freeloader like all other landowners. But I do know of a system
that would be better for society and also me. I would rather opay less
income, sales and other stealth taxes, than rely on land to cream off when
old. I would rather house prices were not ridiculous prices in a country
with a land suplus, then I could havea rather larger house that does not
cost the earth.

The current system is unfair and destructive and serves only the landed
gentry.

I have been reading economist Fred Harrison's book "The Predator Culture". A
good book and quite historical in the misuse of land. Fred goes on about the
colonial land grabs and all. Well they are sort of over - we think.

Fred does point out that private greed in the extraction of private land
rents is the cause of much death in the world. The German invasion of the
USSR in 1941 was that last great colonial land grab. The USA did it to their
west, The British did it via other means in the empire. Land grabs are
followed by private ownership of land and removal of the surplus
inhabitants.

He splits the current society into two:

1. The Predators (the rent seekers (mainly landowers) who use the effort of
others to accumulate riches)

2. The Producers - productive people.

The two are opposed, but it needs violence by the army and police keep them
together - walk on land unused for decades and setup home and then see the
men of violence eject you. Ironically land is owned by the The Queen, the
state. The situation has been with us for so long we now accept this as
normal.

Fred does point out that Marx concentrated on Capital as the evil. Marx's
critique of capitalism is very sound even today, why Marx never goes away.
over 95% of what Marx wrote was a critique of Capitalism.

Fred does point out that Marx, a critic of American Henry George who
advocated Land Valuation Taxation as the Single Tax, did actually home in on
land, which went over the heads of many, including Lenin. Fred did wonder
that if Marx had named Das Kapital, "The Monopoly of Land", the 20th century
may have been different, instead of an appalling century of systemic mass
killing (yet a century with phenomenal technological growth).

One good point is the interpretation of farming efficiency. The corporations
look to efficiency of capital in large factory farms, while labour is often
more efficient in small family holdings.

The 1870s depression led to the Africa land grab which then fell into WW1.
The 1929 crash was clearly a major factor in WW2. 2008? How long? China is
rattling over territory with the Philippines and Japan. Signs are there.

The rectify the problem is easy. Only use common wealth to pay for common
services, leaving people to keep all their earnings, eliminating the
parasite Predators.