Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Crotty Kevin Crotty is offline

Default Where to get high quality external stove top vent cover?

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-691111-.htm
Kevin Crotty wrote:
Did you every find a cover? My vent cover for my cooktop is rattling and driving me nuts. I may try felt weather striping. Thanks. Kevin
Robert Macy wrote:

On Apr 1, 7:30=A0am, Robert Macy wrote:
i...snip.../i
i Look at a standard vent cover. When shut, it is
vertical, which means/i
i there is absolutely NO force holding it shut. =A0When
the fan comes o=/i
n,
i and the flap tilts, then [when you don't want much
closing force]/i
i there is closing force creating useless head pressure
for the fan!/i
i/i
i What I talked about was the OPPOSITE effect.
Substantial force keepin=/i
i it closed, but when open almost no force trying to
shut it./i
i/i
i I did not mention a spring, which if properly
installed could be used=/i
,
i but more likely it would be used in some stupid
manner, making it mor=/i
i difficult to open and keep open. =A0Nor did I mention
a weight that/i
i would be like a 'heavy' flap, impeding the fan more,
but rather a/i
i cantilevered weight that actually HOLDS the vent flap
closed when the/i
i flap is in the vertical position.yet as the flap opens
the weight/i
i shifts to almost apply NO force in trying to close the
flap. =A0Thus,/i
i you win twice. The flap is held shut until opened. And
once opened/i
i there is little force to shut it, so the fan runs
steady state with/i
i very little head pressure./i
i/i
i Sounds like you want a very weak magnet-type defvice, the
magnet has/i
i just a little force to hold the vent closed, but weak
enough that the/i
i blower can overcome the force. =A0Design one and sell it to
the world/i
i after you patent it./i
i/i
i Clever!/i

Ok, that's two forms. one totally passive using a cantilevered weight.
The other, uses a gravity wedge that absolutely does not allow the
flap to open unless/until a solenoid is powered to lift the wedge up
out of the way of the flap. Thus, power fan, power solenoid.

.
.
.
.
SERIOUSLY. Where do I get a high quality 8 inch vent fan cover for my
stove top vent?