Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Rotten Porch Post-more thoughts

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 13:38:56 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 10/14/2012 12:19 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Someone may come along and say, "No, don't use Bondo, use thickened epoxy".
That would work too but it takes at least a day to set up well. It is
stronger than Bondo but you don't need strength...all you need to do is
fill. If this were my porch post I wouldn't hesitate to fix it exactly how
I have said.

If going to all that trouble for such a large section might as well just
make a solid replacement blank and shape it instead.

I've tried the Bondo route for architectural repair -- it's never held
up for over a couple of years at most before it separated from the
substrate.

Did you use car bondo or wood bondo? Just wondering as I've never
talked to anyone who used the right stuff.

I just noticed dadioh said epoxy takes a day to set up-- Use more
hardener if its cold-- but I have more trouble with it setting up in 5
minutes than not setting up fast enough.

I like http://www.rotdoctor.com/ for epoxy-- not cheap-- but real good
and they will hold your hand if you want.

Jim