Posted to rec.woodworking
cedarsonny cedarsonny is offline

Default Book: "Furniture Treasure", Wallace Nutting, 1928

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:18:24 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 10/14/2012 7:56 AM, wrote: You can buy all editions. Amazon has several listing for used and new books. You see some of the prices on those puppies? Paper gold. -- www.eWoodShop.com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Yeah! Some are pretty steep. I just bought the set for $32. Vols. 1&2 from Tx and Vol. 3 from Miss.

The book I had mentioned earlier, and found online, is "The Early Furniture French Canada", by Jean Palardy. I had checked out this book from our local library many times, as a reference to/for some of my past projects. It is no longer at our library... (somemone stole it?). I liked this book. I may buy this one, too... haven't decided, yet.

This book is hefty with lots of pictures, also, but not many detail drawings of designs or dimensions, etc. A good eye can figure out many of those aspects. Early furniture in Canada parallels that of here in the states and lots of it is bulk/hefty built. A little tweaking, to reduce bulk, is easy, yet maintain the rustic, old time appearance/style. I like this style, as long as I don't go overboard. Too many pieces can make your home look like a camp, but a few outdoor/patio uses looks nice. *Similarly, that large log bench I showed at PlantFest... someone later called to buy it, for their flower garden/patio area.

I don't recall seeing a sofa table in it, though. Maybe something can be improvised!!

Sonny