Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] blythaustinsandroid@gmail.com is offline

Default working with pure acetone in the home

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:45:10 AM UTC-6, Larry W wrote:
In article ,

bob haller wrote:

you might suggest he try goof off or goo gone, both are designed to

remove all sorts of nasties. available at places like home depot and

lowes

a friends 3 year old used markers to paint a newly painted room, goo

gone took all the marks off.

...snipped...

I wouldn't be overly concerned by either, but Goo Gone is more toxic

than acetone.

well, I was more concerned with a fire than the toxicity. even if the risks are very, very low, I am still very concerned as I have a lot of equity in my house. does regular home owners insurance cover fire? I'm not concerned with my floor/carpet as I have laid out an old piece of carpet in that room ((I think he figured out why I did it). I really didn't want him laying the tubes out to dry on newspaper. my guess is he probably only uses a few ounces of the stuff at a time (although he does have the entire 1 pint bottle with him when he is working. I've never been able to smell anything. he saws the tubing into 5 or 6 pieces each 18 inches in length and does that many at a time. if he can sell them faster (which he hasn't been able to do), then he may try and do 10 or 15 pieces each time. he'll do them, lay them out to try on the newspapers (on the living room floor) and then go run errands or go relax in the back yard. he already told me he tried to find a non flammable chemical that would work but there isn't any. I actually think scotch brite might work. although he might say it will scratch the tubing. I'm a bit surprised he didn't ask me when he started doing this (especially since the bottle of acetone says flammable right on it). I would like to tell him to blot out the stamped numbers on the back porch, let it dry, and then bring it back in and finish putting the items together. I honestly think it probably only takes him a minute or less to do one batch. I think the bulk of the time is just letting it dry. he still did act like it would be a big hassle to take it outside.

--

When the game is over, the pawn and the king are returned to the same box..