Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default Gotta hand it to the tories.

Andy Champ wrote:
harry wrote:

They used to clamp grain (bury it) & the trapped CO2 preserved it.
(A bit like silage)

Wrong as usual

The 'trapped CO2' does not preseverve it. Silage has already rotted. The
issue is to stop the rot whilst its still palatable to ruminants, which
means keeping the process anaerobic, which is why its sealed. Not to
keep CO2 in, but air out.

Dunno about the silage comparison, and I know you two like a good
fight - but how else does a grain storage pit work?

Dryness. dry grain does not spoil. Cool and dry is the target

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fieldcrops/15052.html

Not even with a dead rat on it. Bloke I knew had a dessicated mummified
rat that fell into a grain silo. Dried it right out - zero decay, just
mummified. He had it nailed on the wall next to the WWII memorabilia..

seeds don't spoil until they get warm and wet, then they sprout and THEN
they can decay and die.

Hmm. Following the link to storage pits on that page

"A well-constructed pit storage is air-tight and oxygen levels gradually
reduce over time.

"The low oxygen levels prevent development of damaging numbers of grain
insects. If in doubt about the gas-tightness of the pit, grain
protectants can be applied to the grain when it is placed in storage"

Then it occurred to me of course...

http://www.ftic.biz/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=428&Itemid=15

.... that I should check with my uncle. Though it looks like Harry is
right this time.

Andy