Tom Veatch

Default SHAME

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:54:05 -0700, "G & G Etzel" wrote:

I think BOB S. needs his mouth washed out . Shame on you!! ..GE

I didn't see the post that sparked this response, but please be aware that there is an individual or individuals who delights in
posting trash to this newsgroup while identifying themselves as one of the group's "regulars". They are fairly easy to identify both
by the obscenity of the content and by the headers attached to the message. Both are quite different from the postings of the
regulars.

The best response to these persons, called "Trolls", is to totally and completely ignore them. They feed on the outrage and turmoil
their actions cause. Without that feedback, they eventually starve and disappear. If the postings are so offensive that you are
unable to ignore them, or simply feel that you shouldn't have to encounter their drivel, there are methods by which the posts can be
identified and disposed of before the messages are displayed. I use such "filtering" software which is likely the reason I didn't
see the message that offended you.

The points are, first, don't assume the name attached to the offensive post is actually the person who posted it. Most likely it is
the troll using an anonymous remailer to disguise/hide his identity. Second, don't feed the troll (DFTT) by replying to, responding
to, or recognizing the existence of the offending post in any way, shape, or form. If we all follow those two guidelines, eventually
the trolls will tire of their play and go elsewhere.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA