Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
§ñühwö£f[_2_] §ñühwö£f[_2_] is offline

Default AIWA stereo wont read CD's

Mark Zacharias wrote:
"§ñühwö£f" wrote in message
Mark Zacharias wrote:
"§ñühwö£f" wrote in message
default wrote:
On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 10:51:47 -0600, §ñühwö£f
wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
[......]

Stew Leonard's Espresso Roast, roasted fresh daily in sunny
Yonkers. Best beans I've ever come across, and worth the trip.
Always a crowd pleaser.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have an actual electronics
repair question: how do I go about getting my old AIWA CX-NA10
stereo system to read CD's again? Is the lazer bad? It detects the
cd and spins up but wont play it.

Have you taken it apart yet? Try cleaning the lens. In a dirty,
smoky or wet environment the lenses can become coated with stuff.

I had it "working" a little after all that and an adjustment to the
potentiometer on the back of the lazer as instructed. However it
would only read one specific CD and scratched some CD's when it went
thru its ejection cycle (disks would not spin down before ejection!)
so I removed the tray and wont use it anymore. Further research
indicated AIWA was part of a class action lawsuit in the 90's due to
their CD players being crap. They're out of business now anyway.
Good riddance.

--
http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org

Aiwa is still around as I understand it. They're owned by Sony.

I haven't seen any new kit from them in any stores for years. Sony
bought them out and killed it off:

"Since 2004, however, Sony seemingly began rolling back its support
for the Aiwa brand, and by 2005 Aiwa products remained on sale in only
selected territories around the globe. In 2006, Aiwa products were
discontinued and no longer sold in the market.

As of September 2011, the Aiwa website still existed to provide
customer-support telephone numbers for some territories and regions,
but it also contained many broken links and blank pages. In other
regions, such as Europe, it redirected to a page on the Sony website
stating that the Aiwa website had closed. The last apparent update to
the website was in June 2008.[1]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aiwa

The biggest problem with their 3-cd models was that so much dust
would get into the lasers that even cleaning eventually would not be
enough and the laser would need to be replaced.
By the way, the lasers were made by Sony, the same pickups used by
many manufacturers at the time.

Wanna buy a used laser? Heh...its a 1997.

Worked on many of them, the customers were mostly satisfied.

Later models had sliding covers that covered up the laser lens when
not playing. This helped but of course was not a perfect solution.

Mark Z.

We have another one, made in 2001, the tape decks on that one dont
work. So, to recap: we have two units from failed electronics maker
AIWA, and both have non-working components. My conclusion: AIWA was
rightly killed off by Sony since its quality sucked balls.

Oh, but we also have a SHARP single CD unit from 1991, it works
*perfectly*.

--
http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org

The tape decks have belt problems, like every other brand. The Aiwa's
were a very cost-effective item at their price point.

Translation: you get what you pay for.

I have no desire to defend Aiwa - I find many of their products
difficult to service. But it sounds to me like perhaps the problem here
may be as much the technician as the product.

Mark Z.

Oh snap! But I'm not a technician. No training whatsoever.