Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 10" TS blades

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 23:54:40 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/11/2012 11:41 PM, Mike M wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 13:53:11 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:51:21 PM UTC-7, Leon wrote:
On 10/11/2012 1:18 PM, SonomaProducts.com wrote: On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:24:44 PM UTC-7, Upscale wrote: On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:34:10 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com" You will find that ripping (cutting with te grain direction) will be much better with a rip blade. Never went the ripping blade route. I've always used a 60 tooth combination blade. Did fine for ripping and crosscut nicely on the veneered plywood. To each his own I guess. I might leave in a cross cut blade if I have one rip. Rarely use a rip for cross cuts, unless they are not so important. Rip blades do cut about twice as fast. Takes me less than a minute to change blades and just kind of do it without thinking. I doubt you can rip cherry with a cross cut very often without some burn. But as I said, to each his own. The trick to not changing blades is to use a combination or general purpose blade. I would not recommend cross cutting with a rip nor ripping with a cross cut blade. Now if you ha

ve
2 table saw, that might change considerations.

IMNSHO combo blades are only approriate for basic cabinet work or other similar (good enough is OK) jobs and not the typical furniture pieces I am usually building. And even then only because the cabinet guys usually oversize their face frame rips and clean up the edges in bundles ganged up in the planer.

I have one I throw on when making plywood boxes, etc. for around the shop or sets and stage furniture for my daughters school, etc.

Out of curiousity have you ever tried a WWII Blade. Just curious if
you've felt you were doing better with the other blades.

Mike M

IIRC he mentioned using a Forrest blade and IIRC Forrest does not make a
rip blade. So my "guess" is that he has used a Forrest General cut
blade, maybe not. If he was not happy with the results of a WWII
"something" was not right.

I found Deb's recent results interesting. (No defined increase in
quality of cuts over a cheaper blade, at least initially. But we all
know that cheaper blades don't last as long.)

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin