Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Price for rough cherry?

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:29:23 AM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
What is anybody paying for rough 4/4 cherry now days? West coast would be most relevant. 8 footers mostly 6+ inches wide. I have some huge stacks in the SF bay area and might want to sell some off... I need the space sooner than I can consume the wood. It is not top notch stuff, some knots and some checking in the stack I want to sell off. I could S2S1E the stuff but I rarely joint 8 footers so I gave it a try on my 8" PM jointer and it was not fun. I usually break down the rough first and then start surfacing. Would (wood) rather sell it rough.

Thanks all. This adds some sanity. The local Rockler had some OK looking 4/4 in 5 to 8" widths by 8 feet. They had the boards marked with bf and total price. It seemed expensive so I asked what was the price per bf. They were asking $12 per bf!!!

The $7-$8 range is more in line with what I was seeing a few years back when I was buying more wood than I do nowdays.

I spoke with my local Woodcraft guy and he is going to let me put some in his rack on consignment and we'll work out some equitable price and deal. I am thinking maybe $5 per bf and and seeing if he'll give me $3. I will be more than doubling my original cost so maybe not such a bad deal.

I think I will also put a recently finished little stickley nightstand next to the lumber as an example of what finished material looks like. Or maybe just a few short finished pieces.