Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT; Jimmy Saville

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
djc wrote:
On 12/10/12 12:50, DerbyBorn wrote:
I don't think we should judge "yesterdays" actions by "todays"
standards. Bear in mind that DJs and Pop Artists had a following
of "Groupies". When faced with Groupies what was a bloke expected
to do (by his peer group and
by the groupies). as far as the BBC is concerned, I expect they
felt some sort of duty to allow stars some access to their fans.
It was a long time ago!

Well, yes, up to a point. That no action was taken 40+ years ago is
understandable. But it seems there were whispers about him even
then. Perhaps that didn't reach those with influence. But in the
years that followed there must have been people aware of rumours
who had by then been promoted to positions where they could have
advised against employing him etc. Were none of them in the 80s,
the 90s perceptive enough to be aware that times were changing,
that what might have been tolerated ten or twenty years past was no
longer, that he was a bit of a throwback, a liability at the very
least.

I think it was more teh climate of te times. The swinging sixties
when a bit of sex on te side was intesenly laudable.

Rocks stars had groupies, young girls threw their knickers on the
stages. Jimmy was a working class lad who made a name for himself and
indulged himself in young girls, found he could get away with it, and
carried on.

Much like today its all Peruvian marching powder and Russell Brand
type stuff. Or being 'gay'.

It simply wasn't that unexceptional. Jimmy of course was at the limit
of what was acceptable, but he was useful and charismatic and did a
lot for charity. And a lot of the girls didn't have to be there. Now
it transpires a lot DID have to be there and were very unwilling,
well it sheds a slightly different light on it.

I know my GF was propositioned by Jimmy, she told me so. BUT she
wasn't anywhere near the BBC hierarchy so she could say no without
losing her job. She thought he was 'creepy'. I didn't like the false
bonhomie and superficial poppishness of him anyway. I was into heavy
rock and blues, and that was miles away from Donny Osmond and the Bay
City Rollers.
Really I think the truth is somewhere in between,. Lots of girls
advanced their careers on their backs, and a few who didn't found it
tougher going. Mostly saying no, might at the worst net you the sack.
Jimmy probably found he could succeed with the stupider more helpless
and more innocent sort who tended to follow the pop scene around, and
made hay, and overstepped the mark,, simply because he could get away
with it. Everybody knew he was doing loads of skirt, but not many
people knew that it was underage and unwilling skirt.

You mean kids and rape?

--
Adam